LifestyleMold menace: How to spot deal with fungus threat in your home

Mold menace: How to spot deal with fungus threat in your home

Mold in the house can pose a threat to our health.
Mold in the house can pose a threat to our health.
Images source: © Adobe Stock | Adobe
4:58 AM EST, January 30, 2024

Spotting mold in your home is disconcerting. This type of fungus can latch onto various surfaces, including walls, floors, carpets, curtains, and even the crevices of your furniture. Wherever mold materializes, it's crucial to act promptly. Its presence indicates insufficient ventilation or excess moisture in the house.

The risks posed by mold in your home

Mold and the moisture it brings along can trigger damage, such as cracks in sewer pipes. Additionally, the mere presence of mold is a health hazard. As zdrowie.parenting.pl site highlights, mold can lead to chronic joint, muscle, and head pain. This fungus also incites skin and sinus issues.

Sudden loss of concentration, irritability, or even insomnia? These could be signs that mold spores are present in your home. If you detect mold, action is required. "The Sun", citing research by Envirodent, emphasizes that mold can be particularly harmful to infants, children, the elderly, and those with certain diseases or health conditions.

Effective home remedies for mold elimination

Vinegar spray

One effective approach to tackle mold is to spray the affected area with white vinegar and let it work for an hour. After this, scrub the area gently with a brush, wipe it with a damp cloth and allow it to dry.

Note: Never mix white vinegar with bleach - they create a toxic gas when combined, which can be lethal.

Baking soda

To use baking soda, dissolve it in water and spray the mixture on the mold-infested surface. Scrub this area gently with a brush, wipe off the remaining soda with a damp cloth, and leave to dry.

Hydrogen peroxide

Start by pouring three percent hydrogen peroxide into a spray bottle, and spray on the mold-ridden surface. Wait for ten minutes until it stops bubbling. Then, scrub the surface with a cloth or a soft brush. At the end, be sure to dry the treated area thoroughly with a clean cloth.

Related content