NewsIraqi militant group accused of deadly US troop attack announces halt in military operations

Iraqi militant group accused of deadly US troop attack announces halt in military operations

Iraqi militant group accused of deadly US troop attack announces halt in military operations
Images source: © GETTY | San Francisco Chronicle/Hearst Newspapers via Getty Images
10:55 AM EST, January 31, 2024, updated: 7:03 AM EST, February 1, 2024

The terrorist organization Kataib Hezbollah (Brigades of the Party of God) based in Iraq, suspected of orchestrating the lethal assault on U.S. forces in Jordan, has declared a suspension of its military operations in the area.

The faction's move to reduce tensions late Tuesday, citing an intention to avoid causing discomfort to the Iraqi government, was received with skepticism in the United States. The Pentagon claims that there have been three additional assaults following the initial incident.

According to the Pentagon, three U.S. soldiers were killed and at least 40 more wounded in a drone attack on U.S. forces in Jordan at the Tower 22 base near the Syrian border on Sunday. Iranian-backed militias are believed to be behind the attack.

The White House response

The White House has indicated that it is pondering a "tiered response" to Sunday’s attack. - I hold them responsible because they’re supplying the weapons to the people who did it (...) But I don't think we need a broader war in the Middle East - said Joe Biden, addressing on Tuesday from Washington.

So far, the U.S. has retaliated to this danger through airstrikes and by implementing sanctions against Iran-supported factions in Iraq, especially targeting Kataib Hezbollah.

Iran reaction

Hossein Salami, head of Iran's Revolutionary Guard, addressed the situation in a statement on Wednesday. - We hear threats coming from American officials, we tell them that they have already tested us and we now know one another, no threat will be left unanswered - he said, according to Tasnim news agency.

The Iranian ambassador to the United Nations, Amir Saeid Iravani, also delivered a warning toward the Americans. - Tehran will respond firmly to any attack on its territory, interests, or Iranian citizens outside its borders, the official said.

Source: Reuters

Source:EssaNews
Related content