NewsFirefighters battle fierce flames at historic Connecticut campus dormitory

Firefighters battle fierce flames at historic Connecticut campus dormitory

Firefighters battle fierce flames at historic Connecticut campus dormitory
Images source: © GETTY | Boston Globe
9:42 AM EST, March 5, 2024

On Monday, March 5, a fire broke out in the dormitory at Central Connecticut State University, as the university announced on social media. Therefore, many students were evacuated and offered temporary housing.

According to university authorities, the fire started around 6 p.m. on the first floor of F. Don James Hall. Fortunately, fire protection systems and firefighters intervened quickly, stopping and extinguishing the fire.

The announcement also states that all students were safely evacuated to Memorial Hall and the Student Center. As the university informed in an update, after 9 p.m., students could collect their belongings, and at 9:45 p.m., the students from the first floor were transported to the hotel. Students from the second to the sixth floor could also choose to go to the hotel. A total of about 60 students received temporary housing from the university authorities.

"The university is grateful everyone is safe. The students did exactly what they should in a situation like this and we are working on making them comfortable in a new space," said Zulma Toro, the President of university quoted by the Associated Press agency.

Source: Fox News, Associated Press, Central Connecticut State University

Related content