SportsFan's hair catches fire after being hit by flare at Hibernian-Celtic Glasgow match

Fan's hair catches fire after being hit by flare at Hibernian-Celtic Glasgow match

The fan's hair caught fire at the Celtic vs Hibernian match.
The fan's hair caught fire at the Celtic vs Hibernian match.
Images source: © Licensor | Twitter

7:21 AM EST, February 9, 2024

The match, which took place on Wednesday (02/07), was part of the 25th round of the Scottish Premiership, with Hibernian hosting Celtic Glasgow. Celtic Glasgow came out on top with a score of 2:1. Yet, the incident just before the opening whistle has drawn attention from across the globe.

As the teams took to the field, Celtic fans in the stands behind the goal initiated a pyrotechnic display with lit flares. The situation escalated when a piece of a flare hit a fan on the head, setting his hair ablaze.

The fan had to vigorously battle the flames for a few seconds, patting down his hair. Smoke could be seen rising from his head. Fortunately, the situation was swiftly controlled, and the man suffered no significant injuries. However, British media reported that the incident seemed to go unnoticed or was ignored by other fans nearby.

The hazardous episode from the Hibernian vs Celtic match has been widely reported across Great Britain. Numerous media groups have spotlighted the incident, and it has also sparked a flurry of comments on social media.

It's worth noting that this is not the first dangerous incident involving pyrotechnics at a Scottish football match. During a game between Dundee F.C. and Glasgow Rangers on November 1st, an excessive number of flares caused the match to be suspended for around 18 minutes. During the resulting commotion, it was reported in the media that a 13-year-old girl was harassed.

After 25 rounds in the Scottish Premiership, Celtic Glasgow is leading with a three-point advantage over their arch-rival. However, the Glasgow Rangers have a game in hand.

Related content