NewsEgypt holiday turns deadly: UK inquest into cooper couple's poisoning underway

Egypt holiday turns deadly: UK inquest into cooper couple's poisoning underway

"Mysterious death of a British couple in Egyptian Hurghada"
"Mysterious death of a British couple in Egyptian Hurghada"
Images source: © Facebook
5:07 PM EST, November 8, 2023

Investigations have begun concerning the death of a married couple during their vacation in Egypt. This case is currently being heard at a court in Blackburn, UK. The couple died suddenly in their room at the Steigenberger Aqua Magic hotel in Hurghada, situated on the Red Sea. The cause of death was determined to be poisoning.

The investigations have revealed that John Cooper, aged 69, and his wife Susan, aged 63, fell ill and died within a short interval, exhibiting similar symptoms. Their health deteriorated rapidly, leading to their subsequent deaths.

It was established that the room, in which the British couple was staying, had undergone a fumigation process just a few hours prior to their demise. The room was treated with fumigation products because of a bedbug infestation.

According to "The Guardian", first-hand accounts of the tragic event from August 2018 were heard in court. A German tourist, who had previously stayed in the room adjacent to the late Coopers', was among those providing testimony. He disclosed that he had personally reported the bedbug infestation to the reception desk, following which he was promptly relocated, and a professional team was called in.

The room was treated around midday with a pesticide known as Lambda. Early next morning, the Coopers fell ill and passed away the following day.

Notably, the couple was sharing the room with their granddaughter, Molly. While on holiday with the couple, the 12-year-old slept in a different bed. She complained of a "yeasty smell" in the room in the evening, and woke up in the night feeling ill. Her grandfather called his daughter, who was in a room on a different floor, and brought his ailing granddaughter to her.

The tragedy of the British couple in Egypt

The next morning, the Coopers did not show up for breakfast at the hotel restaurant. Upon checking on them, their daughter found both in grave condition. They were nauseous and unable to stand.

Doctors who were part of the hotel's staff were swiftly called, but the man started experiencing breathing difficulties. Despite resuscitation attempts, he passed away. His wife was rushed to the hotel clinic, where she remained unconscious until she was declared dead at 16:00 ET.

Doctors who were part of the hotel's staff were swiftly called, but the man started experiencing breathing difficulties. Despite resuscitation attempts, he passed away. His wife was rushed to the hotel clinic where she remained unconscious until she was declared dead at 16:00 ET.

In the upcoming days, the Blackburn court will hear testimonies from individuals related to the case. Forensic medicine experts as well as legal representatives of the hotel are among the ones expected to testify before British justice.

Related content